Re: [Aspell-user] spell checking in notepad++593

From: Mark Rousell
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] spell checking in notepad++593
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:19:06 +0100

Hello,

On 11/10/2011 08:14, Dkfm. Kurt Mayer wrote:
> How can I avoid this error: "The file 'c:/program Files (x86)/Aspell/de.pws'
> can not be opened fpr writing." I use Win7/64 OS.

The problem here is probably that Windows 7 won't allow dynamic updates
to occur to files in the "\Program Files" or "\Program Files (x86)"
directory hierarchies. Any dynamically updateable data files should be
stored elsewhere.

(In fact Windows 7 has a file and registry virtualisation feature which
should mean that any dynamically updated files in the above two
locations should be transparently virtualised on a per-Windows user
basis but unfortunately this does not always seem to work. It does not
seem to be working for you.).

In practice there are two main ways to avoid this problem:

1) Install Aspell outside of the "\Program Files" or "\Program Files
(x86)" directories. Installing it to "C:\Aspell" would work or
installing it to your Windows user profile would work (e.g.
"C:\Users\username\Aspell").

2) Leave Aspell where it is but move its dynamically updateable data
files to a different location and tell Aspell to find them there. E.g.
You could move de.pws to somewhere like
"C:\Users\username\Aspell-Dictionaries".

Hope that helps.

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp