[AUCTeX-devel] Re: User interface problem.

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: User interface problem.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:04:18 +0100

On Wed, Nov 15 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * David Kastrup (2006-11-15) writes:
>
>> (or (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf" "print")
>>     (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf"))
>>
>> to figure out what to use for printing PDF files?

I.e. your are thinking about something similar to
`TeX-output-view-style' for printing?

> I'm not sure if I like the second part of it.  After all we already
> have a View command.  But it's probably what the user did manually
> anyway if she received a message that printing did not work.  So,
> okay.
>
> I'm quite unfamiliar with gs, but couldn't we use that for sending
> something useful to lpr?

Of course you can convert PDF to PostScript via gs (if available) and
send this to lpr.  But this would rather be done in the lpr
configuration.  At least on modern GNU/Linux systems, I'd expect "lpr
file.pdf" to work.

BTW, my colleagues use XDvi's "File/Print" menu and they didn't even
know about "Command/Print" in AUCTeX.  As XDvi (gv too) allows to
print marked pages, it's often more convenient than "Command/Print" in
AUCTeX.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,