[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:17:02 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> [Note: passed on to the proper list by David]
>
> Hi David,
>
> I downloaded AUCTeX (version 11.14) from the Web,

Why would you download such a stone-age version?

> and it appears that you are, or at least were, the maintainer of
> library tex.el, which has the binding in question: (define-key
> TeX-mode-map "\C-c`" 'TeX-next-error).
>
> It appears that this map is used by one or more major modes, and not
> by a minor mode - is that correct?

Correct.

> If so, according to the GNU Emacs guidelines, such a binding (C-c
> followed by punctuation other than {}<>:;) should not be used for a
> major mode.

Correct.  Apart from that, it is very inconvenient to type, anyway.
We have not yet been able to agree on a good alternative.  Maybe we
should just leave this to next-error and be done.

> Do I understand this guideline correctly, or am I missing something
> here? If my understanding is correct, would you please change this
> binding to something recommended for a major mode? There are other
> such bindings that should also be changed, for the same
> reason. Another that conflicts with an Icicle minor-mode binding is
> `C-c ''.

You'll find IIRC that RefTeX, a minor mode, is not exactly faultless
either.  However, since it is a non-global minor mode and only
intended to be used together with LaTeX modes, there is not much point
in adhering strictly to the minor/major separation lines: the total
package needs to make sense from its keybindings.

Good bindings are usually not found by complaints alone, proposals
could help.