Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's

From: Frank Küster
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's .rel files
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:53:41 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I don't see much that Emacs can do here, except possibly assuming
> that its default locale matches getpwent.  Given that people often use
> latin1 for their (LaTeX) text processing, that seems audacious at
> best.

That's right.  I guess the best thing would be to customize user-full-name.

>> /etc/passwd is in utf-8,
>
> Says who?

Me ;-).

 iconv -f utf-8 -t iso8859-1 < /etc/passwd

gives no error, but does display my name correctly.

>> and I must say that although Debian etch claims to be utf-8-ready,
>> most of my X terminals aren't able to "cat /etc/passwd" properly;
>> konsole (kde terminal) can do it only after I manually switch the
>> encoding.
>
> My Gnome terminal gets along fine (it does not do character
> compositing or right-to-left languages AFAICT, though).

Maybe I need to make a change in Gnome Control Center or however it is
called (I never have started Gnome).

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster