Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Font-lock of []{} in the CVS version

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Font-lock of []{} in the CVS version
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:58:36 +0200

* Christian Schlauer (2007-07-15) writes:

> Also, all the curly braces in that example are black now (I don't
> remember the exact colour they had before, but for example the curly
> braces in a macro like \caption{Foo.} were green before, IIRC. Now
> they're black, too.)
>
> Personally, I liked the previous behaviour. I think the parentheses
> get too much `weight' now due to the black colour. They aren't text
> that will appear in the output, and previously, their `visual impact'
> when reading the source was reduced by the font-locking.

That's a strange perception because font locking is often called
highlighting, not lowlighting.  So font-locked text is supposed to stand
out.

> IMO, they
> look too dominant now.

Please look at something like \chapter{foo} and say that again. (c:

> I know that parens are black in emacs-lisp-mode, and I even opened
> some C source file of Emacs and there, the parens are black, too. But
> still I would like to know: was this change intentional?

Yes.

> If so, why is
> this font-locking of parens preferred?

Because braces are not part of the macro parameter, they are just
delimiters.

> Can I customize this?

No.

It shouldn't be too difficult (even for a user) to give braces and
brackets a face like `font-latex-sedate-face'.  Perhaps I'll experiment
with that.  But before I want to finish the font locking changes.

--
Ralf