Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Completion for counters

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Completion for counters
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:43:19 +0100

Hi Mads,

> The TODO file mentioned that it would be nice to have completion for
> counters.  Mose Giordano did this, but some style files have to have
> some counters appended.  I've attached patches for memoir.el,
> article.el, book.el and report.el
TeX-auto-generate'ing those classes automatically adds counters to
style files, this is why I didn't provide patches for these classes.

> Actually, it appears that latex.ltx
> defines the counters tocdepth and secnumdepth, too, so maybe these two
> should instead be in latex.el and not in the style files?
Those counters are defined in `latex.el' using a plain TeX syntax, but
I don't know TeX very much.  As far as I can see, in TeX counters are
defined with `\countdef', `\newcount' or defining a macro called
address@hidden'.  In `latex.ltx' there are many more counters defined in
these ways.

Knowing the correct TeX syntax, we could add to `tex.el' a regexp
matching TeX counters and TeX-auto-add counter type.  In this case
TeX-auto-add-type counter in `latex.el' wouldn't be needed anymore.

Bye,
Mosè Giordano