[AUCTeX-devel] Harmonizing biblatex and natbib styles

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Harmonizing biblatex and natbib styles
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 13:25:46 +0200

Hi all,

I *touched* natbib.el and updated it to v8.31b of the package (diff is
attached).

I would like to harmonize the compat mode in biblatex.el and natbib.el
itself.  The main issue is this comment in natbib.el:

    ;; The number in the cdr of the following list indicates how many
    ;; optional note arguments we consider useful.
                                  ^^^^^^^^

For instance, \citet takes 2 optional arguments, but natbib.el offers
only 1 for completion, but adds 2 to fontification.  Reftex OTOH offers
both when invoked with `C-u C-['.  I do understand the rationale behind
this decision, but it is not really consistent over the different files.

WDYT, should AUCTeX strictly stick with the way macros are defined or do
we accept some variations in order to make things more user friendly?  I
have a preference for `all or nothing'.

Best, Arash