Re: Putting tex-math-face in tex group

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Putting tex-math-face in tex group
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:55:01 +0200

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>> tex-math-face defined in tex-font.el doesn't specify a custom group.
>> Any objections if I apply this patch in order to pacify the compiler?

Thanks for your response.

> I think that the patch itself is harmless. At the same time, I feel that
> we should overhaul tex-font.el if possible.
>
> The code of tex-font.el is basically the same with the font-lock-related
> contents of tex-mode.el (standard tex mode of emacs), and seems to be
> much outdated.

Indeed, the code in tex-font.el is really outdated.  And that's the
reason I thought I just silence the compiler without touching it.  I
wonder how many users actually use this setup?

> So there are little points to have such own contents in
> tex-font.el. In my opinion, we can replace most of the contents of
> tex-font.el with just (require 'tex-mode) and leave only
> `tex-font-setup' with the slightest change to follow the recent
> font-lock setup in tex-mode.el.

Until now, AUCTeX had the policy not to rely on external packages at
runtime.  I'm not sure if it's worth it to change this for tex-font.el.
I suggest we take over the relevant code from tex-mode.el and update
the file.

WDYT, does it make sense?  And do you want to give it roll?

Best, Arash