Re: "Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil" error when compiling/

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: "Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil" error when compiling/viewing docs with AucTeX 13
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 12:10:48 +0900

Hi Artemio,

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>   TeX-active-master-with-quotes("pdf" t)
>   (lambda nil (TeX-active-master-with-quotes (TeX-output-extension) t))()
>   apply((lambda nil (TeX-active-master-with-quotes (TeX-output-extension) t))
> nil)
>   TeX-command-expand("%V")
>   TeX-command("View" TeX-master-file nil)
>   TeX-command-master(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(TeX-command-master nil)
>   call-interactively(TeX-command-master nil nil)
>   command-execute(TeX-command-master)

My first guess is that you have customized `TeX-expand-list', but
looking at the custom variable list you provieded, it doesn't seem so.

Then I suspect that older installation of AUCTeX interferes with the
latest one. Don't you have AUCTeX<13 somewhere? You can usually check by
examining the value of `load-path'.

Or you may still be using an emacs session invoked _before_ upgrading
AUCTeX. In that case, please restart your emacs session. In general,
files loaded before upgrade can conflict with the files loaded after
upgrade.

> In case the problem might have to do with something in my .emacs, here
> are the AucTeX-related custom-set variables:

> '(LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace t)
>  '(LaTeX-equation-label "")
>  '(LaTeX-figure-label "fig.")
>  '(LaTeX-section-label
>    (quote
>     (("part" . "part.")
>      ("chapter" . "chap.")
>      ("section" . "sec.")
>      ("subsection" . "ssec.")
>      ("subsubsection" . "sssec."))))
>  '(TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons
>    (quote
>     (new-file open-file dired kill-buffer save-buffer undo cut copy paste
> latex next-error view bibtex spell latex-symbols-experimental nil)))
>  '(TeX-bar-TeX-buttons
>    (quote
>     (new-file open-file dired kill-buffer save-buffer undo cut copy paste tex
> next-error view bibtex spell nil)))
>  '(TeX-electric-math (quote ("$" . "$")))
>  '(TeX-save-query nil)
>  '(TeX-source-correlate-mode t)
>  '(TeX-view-program-selection
>    (quote