Re: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil" error when compiling/v

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil" error when compiling/viewing docs with AucTeX 13
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 21:22:32 +0100

Artemio González López <artemiogl@telefonica.net> writes:

Hi Artemio,

>  That said, this entry isn't wrong.  It's just not the default value.
>  The error you are getting seems to be caused by `TeX-expand-pos'
>  being nil.
>
> The value TeX-expand-pos is indeed nil.

That's normal.  It's bound dynamically by `TeX-command-expand' so you'll
never observe a non-nil value except in a call stack below
`TeX-command-expand'.

>  Or probably it's not even defined but your version of tex-buf.el
>  checks a now undefined var `pos' as it did prior to auctex 13.
>
>  Maybe try M-x package-delete RET auctex RET, then check if there's no
>  ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-*/ directory left over and reinstall.
>
> I just reinstalled and now it seems to work like a charm!

Ah, there you go.  Did you have multiple auctex versions installed?  If
so, you might have found an emacs bug.  I think that in such a case
emacs must make sure that only one version is loaded or at least that
`list-load-path-shadows' gives a clue...

> Thanks an awful lot for your help,

You're welcome!

Bye,
Tassilo