Re: AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:23:13 +0900

Hi Tassilo,

>> First of all, is this situation common for others, or peculiar to me
>> due to my personal configuration? I continue assuming the former.

> Indeed, same for me.

Thank you for confirmation.

> I think it is not our business to set `tool-bar-style' explicitly but
> rather the user should do that based on his or her preferences.

> Here, the value is nil which, according to its docstring, should mean
> "use the system default or image if no system default".  So I guess
> there's also some GTK setting which a user could configure, and then
> Emacs/AUCTeX should follow suite.

I examined other emacs built-in libraries to figure out how they
suppress redundant text labels. It seems that there is an undocumented
feature such that non-nil :vert-only property for tool bar specification
does the job. (And I noticed a related topic in emacs-devel archive:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00935.html )

The revised patch is attached below. Now AUCTeX tool bar follows the
user preference even when `tool-bar-style' is customized to `both',
presenting labels under icons. (In that case, "Preview" icon lacks the
label, at least for me. It seems that either emacs or gtk omits the
label text "Preview at point" since it's too long to fit there.)

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita