Re: Cleaning up temporal markers

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Cleaning up temporal markers
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 15:38:25 +0900

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

First of all, I'm more on your side with respect to this issue.

> But then the markers will get maintained until next garbage
> collection, won't they? That's what slowing down the editing.
> Unassociating them with the buffer will not garbage-collect them, but
> it will stop their performance implications until they get collected.

Yes, I thought so, too. For that reason, I wrote the patch in my first
post attempting to address that issue, quoting exactly the same
paragraph from elisp reference.

> Note that markers that can no longer be accessed (which would apply to
> let-bound markers) are _eventually_ removed in garbage collection.
> Until they are removed, the performance implications when they are
> associated with a buffer remain.

Yes, my thought was the same.

However, Arash wrote
>>> [...] my understanding is that for let-bound markers in a function
>>> body, you don't have to clean up as described above.
[...]
>>> IIRC the Emacs lisp reference is not clear about this point.

This sounded to me that he thinks that he heard that elisp interpreter
has something special implemented which detects unused let-bound marker
at the end of execution of `let' and clears it.

My knowledge about elisp implementation isn't enough to tell whether it
is right or not. So I replied to him as:
>>> IIRC the Emacs lisp reference is not clear about this point.  It
>>> would be good if someone gives a definite answer about my assumption
>>> above.
>>
>> Yeah, I'd appreciate if someone clarifies this point.

It seems to me that you are saying that Arash's view is wrong. I cannot
tell which is right, by my lack of enough knowledge. Thus I hope someone
could confirm this issue.

> As I read the Elisp reference, it is pretty clear.  What other
> interpretation do you read into the text?
Does this "you" refer to me? If so, I have almost no material to answer
this question, as described so far.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita