Re: Proposal to fix simultaneity

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Proposal to fix simultaneity
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:26:11 +0900

Hi Tassilo and all,

> Sorry, this breaks region preview for some reason I haven't found out
> yet. I'll revert it for now.

The reason was that preview-latex calls `TeX-run-command' directly and
bypasses facility set into `TeX-command'. However, I came to think that
we should give up this attempt due to the following reasons.

1. Suppose that the first preview run in a emacs session is a region
   preview and the user selects preamble caching at that run. Then
   preview-latex creates dump format before running region typeset. The
   dump format is created as master typeset, not region typeset, so it
   runs with `TeX-current-process-region-p' being nil. Thus it isn't
   enough just to save the value of `TeX-current-process-region-p' and
   reuse it in the sentinel, in which case the subsequent region typeset
   invoked in the sentinel is done with `TeX-current-process-region-p'
   being nil.
2. preview-latex uses some global variables including `preview-gs-file'
   to provide information to process filters and process sentinels.
   These global variables are also overwritten every time the user
   issues preview commands such as C-c C-p C-d, C-c C-p C-r. It's
   tedious to identify all such variables and add facilities to guard and
   reuse them in filters and sentinels.

Therefore, I don't think now it's worth implementing something to
support simultaneous typeset/preview. How about just giving it up and
removing relevant descriptions from the documents and comments? (I'd
rather add instructions in the document telling that "Don't run
typset/preview simultaneously.")

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine