Re: LaTeX-current-environment in macrocode environment

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: LaTeX-current-environment in macrocode environment
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:34:47 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>> Our current implementation for `LaTeX-current-environment' doesn't
>> recognize the env ' foo3 ' -- note that spaces and other non-letter
>> characters are allowed in env names.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that...

I can't tell if this is a supported way for defining environments or
just a side effect of how environments are defined in LaTeX internally
with the \@newenv macro which has the following definition:

\long\def\@newenv#1#2#3#4{%
  \@ifundefined{#1}%
    {\expandafter\let\csname#1\expandafter\endcsname
                     \csname end#1\endcsname}%
    \relax
    \expandafter\new@command
      \csname #1\endcsname#2{#3}%
      \l@ngrel@x\expandafter\def\csname end#1\endcsname{#4}}

The \csname\endcsname construct allows characters other than letters.

>> Hence, my suggestion for the change looks like this:
>
> Then shouldn't we also modify "newenvironment" entries in
> `LaTeX-auto-regexp-list' accordingly?

Thanks for reminding me.  We probably should do that.

Best, Arash