Re: Better sorting for TeX-symbol-list

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Better sorting for TeX-symbol-list
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:38:28 +0200

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

> Second, it is typically a long list, isn't it better to sort it just
> once, when parsing, then every time we reach for `TeX-insert-macro'?

I think the function `TeX-symbol-list' just recollects the parsed
information and it isn't that expensive, or do you experiment lags?

> And, true, the list is probably re-sorted by different completion
> frameworks. So, you're right that everyone is resorting the list
> anyway. I'm using 'ivy-mode', and it can be a pain to reach for short
> ones with `string-lessp'.

I'm not using ivy, but I think you can put something like this in your
init file:

  (define-key ivy-minibuffer-map (kbd "M-c") #'ivy-toggle-case-fold)

Hitting M-c in ivy minibuffer after that should put \ac in a more
prominent position (unless I'm missing something).  The hint above comes
from here[1].

> Well, it was just a small suggestion, no problem. :)

And I appreciate your suggestion.  I just don't believe that adjusting
the sorting in AUCTeX is the right way to go since people tend to have
different preferences which are addressed better somewhere else.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/issues/1104