Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:53:53 +0200

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> Have seen that the built-in tex-mode and latex-mode have two powerful
> features: 1) the prettify-symbols-mode where things such as \alpha are
> displayed with the corresponding greek glyph symbol; and 2) the
> ability to reposition the height of superscripts and subscripts.
>
> For the two features, I seem to remember than the rendering proves to
> be superior in Auctex.

AUCTeX basically uses the prettify-symbols setup from the builtin latex
mode.  I don't know what you mean with repositioning the height of
sub/superscripts.  AUCTeX (font-latex.el) allows to fontify them as such
even on multiple levels, e.g., x^y^z.

> Could you see whether using the functionality from the Auctex
> implementation be used.

AUCTeX font-lock implementation heavily relies on the information
gathered by AUCTeX's parsing abilities and its style files, so I guess,
no.

Bye,
Tassilo