Re: scope environment in TikZ

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: scope environment in TikZ
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:28:57 +0900

Hi Arash,

> Hmm, and I thought we have that volunteer ;-)

The largest obstacle is that TikZ option is quite complicated. :-(
1. The number of options (PGF keys) is enormous. In addition that the
   TikZ core has a lot of options, numerous TikZ libraries loadable by
   \usetikzlibrary adds more and more available options.
2. The option value itself can be other key-value pairs.
3. It is common that the user creates new options; those look like
   \tikzset{pre/.style={<-,shorten <=1pt,>={Stealth[round]},semithick},
     post/.style={->,shorten >=1pt,>={Stealth[round]},semithick}}
   In this case, "pre" and "post" are the user defined options. In more
   advanced form, user options can have "arguments" #1, #2, ... and
   default values for them. In addition, such user defined options can
   appear in other options as well.
4. Some options (most typically color and shape specification) can be
   value alone, without the "key=" part.

Thus the standard key-value completion facility of AUCTeX isn't enough
in my view to provide satisfactory support for TikZ options.

> Looking at the size of the manual, I wonder if that will ever happen.
> Maybe using the Digestif LSP-server helps here (which I never used).

I hope LSP servers can provide practical support for TikZ.

> What I described above was that you can probably also use
> `LaTeX-env-args', here is a test style:

[...]

> But this is not possible with the current definition of
> `LaTeX--env-parse-args'.  What do you think about the suggested change?

Ah, I see. You are talking about a separate topic of moving the point
inside the empty "[]". Doesn't the suggested change break compatibility?
If it doesn't, I'm fine with your proposal. ;-)

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine