Re: problems with thmstools (and automatic insertion of labels (reftex)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: problems with thmstools (and automatic insertion of labels (reftex)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 22:47:57 +0100

>>> "AE" == Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Arash

Thanks for the quick response
> Hi Uwe,
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> I have to work with a file that uses thmtools (which is not supported by
>> auctex, as far as I can tell,

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/auctex.git/tree/style/thmtools.el

> is available since 2018.

Yes, as I said in my followup, I checked out the wrong git branch (I should
stick strictly to mercurial (and the hg-git plugins)

>> nor by reftex)

> RefTeX support OOTB isn't feasible since all environments are defined by
> the user.

>> I now run  LaTeX-environment and now something strange happens
>>
>> The minibuffer offers me
>> heading (h) key=val (k)  Empty (RET)
>>
>> Now, RET does not work, nothing happens,

> RET does work, it just leave the optional argument empty.

Well what I mean I hit RET and *nothing* happens, no environment is inserted,
so I have to chose another option.

>> h leads to a heading (title) which is ok, but then no label is
>> inserted as I am used to by
>> (setq reftex-label-alist
>> ("cor" ?C "cor:%f:" "~\\ref{%s}" t  ("Corollary" "Cor."  "C.")))

> Note that the setting above cannot work.  `reftex-label-alist' is an
> alist, so you have to do:

> (setq reftex-label-alist
>       '(("cor" ?C "cor:%f:" "~\\ref{%s}" t ("Corollary" "Cor."  "C."))))

Right, I just copied carelessly

Out of the huge list, without taking care of the details.

> And finally, in order to get a label inserted automatically, you have to
> set `LaTeX-label-alist' *and* `reftex-label-alist':

> (add-to-list 'LaTeX-label-alist '("cor" . "cor:"))
> (setq reftex-label-alist
>       '(("cor" ?C "cor:%f:" "~\\ref{%s}" t
>         ("Corollary" "Cor."  "C."))))

I am a bit confused, this would then insert cor:filename:number even if
LaTeX-label-alist does not specify this?

> And then AUCTeX will delegate the generation of label to RefTeX.  I
> think this is also documented in thmtools.el, amsthm.el, ntheorem.el
> etc.

>> And
>>
>> (defun LaTeX-cor-insert (environment)        ;Version:1.20
>> (if (y-or-n-p
>> (format "Do you want a title "))
>> (let ((title (read-string "(optional) Title: ")))
>> (LaTeX-insert-environment "cor" (concat "[" title "]"))
>> (and (LaTeX-label environment)
>> (newline-and-indent)))
>> (LaTeX-insert-environment "cor")
>> (and (LaTeX-label environment)
>> (newline-and-indent))))

> Why do you need this function?  thmtools.el provides
> `LaTeX-thmtools-env-label' which does the job after parsing the
> document.

Because I never ever got that work, I will try now

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.