Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 14:16:42 +0900

Hi Tassilo,

> I think the more elaborate package managers provide mechanisms for
> easily deferring package load until it is actually used in order to
> make emacs startup faster, so probably frequently auctex isn't loaded
> although the package is installed.

Thank you for clarifying.

> Your cautious receipe suggests that in the above scenario the newly
> installed auctex 14.0.0 will also be broken, even after restarting
> emacs.  That can only happen with macro changes where byte-compilation
> with the wrong version of the macro would generate code that's
> incompatible with the new package version.  And even then, a M-x
> package-recompile auctex RET followed by a restart should fix the issue.

Thanks, I think I understand uninstalling isn't necessary. (Actually,
there was once a case where rotten .elc files were generated by a reason
other than change in elisp macro; when lexical binding was introduced.
Of course this failure won't happen in future.)

> So if my thinking isn't wrong, I wouldn't add special documentation for
> the update from 13 -> 14.  That updates, especially major version
> updates, may contain incompatible changes and may break the package in
> the current session should be considered normal.

OK, I'm fine with it.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine