auctex

Re: cannot get AUCTeX to work

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: cannot get AUCTeX to work
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 14:57:46 +0100

> Pastiche P <pastiche228@gmail.com> writes:
>
> The error is gone, but I'm not sure AUCTeX itself is properly loaded. E.g.,
> the command LaTeX-section is undefined. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding
> something?

In my experience, you need to do

(use-package latex
  :ensure auctex
  :mode ("\\.tex\\'" . LaTeX-mode)
  :init (...)
  :config (setq TeX-auto-save t
                TeX-parse-self t
                etc...))

This will load all the other libraries that latex.el requires.

I'm surprised by Tassilo's suggestion as tex-mode.el is not part of AUCTeX.  It
is the built-in (La)TeX mode for Emacs -- isn't it?