auctex

Re: Why does a `standalone` document set `TeX-PDF-from-DVI`?

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Why does a `standalone` document set `TeX-PDF-from-DVI`?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:40:47 +0900

Hi Maximilian,

> AUCTeX immediately loads the file `~/.emacs.d/auctex/standalone.el`,
> which apparently was (auto)created on Apr 13 2018.

[...]

> In fact, this old file `~/.emacs.d/auctex/standalone.el` was the
> problem! I didn't notice that it was so old until now. I have no idea
> how or why it was created though. I had 4280 files in this directory;
> all of them were created on the same day in 2018. After moving this
> directory away and restoring my .emacs file, the mysterious directory
> hasn't been recreated.

I suppose you tried M-x TeX-auto-generate-global on that day. I at last
understood the origin. In
/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/latex/standalone/standalone.cls
, there are lines
\ifsa@pstricks
    \RequirePackage{pstricks}
\fi
and this portion makes the generated ~/.emacs.d/auctex/standalone.el
enable pstricks support.

Maybe AUCTeX document should warn that TeX-auto-generate-global can
bring on unexpected side effects.

> However, I still have the same behaviour when I open the following
> file:

>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{pstricks}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \begin{pspicture}(1,2)
>> \end{pspicture}
>>
>> \end{document}

If "the same behaviour" means that TeX-PDF-from-DVI is set to "Dvips",
this is intentional. Please see the thread beginning with
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2020-07/msg00004.html
.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita