auctex

Re: Feature request: Show the characters corresponding to the LaTeX comm

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Feature request: Show the characters corresponding to the LaTeX commands displayed in minibuffer.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:15:23 +0800

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 9:11 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I've just pushed a commit which makes the annotation function also
> >> look into `LaTeX-math-list' and `LaTeX-math-default' if
> >> `tex--prettify-symbols-alist' did not find a match.  That seems to
> >> have filled quite some gaps.
> >
> > But there are still so many symbols can't be rendered.
>
> Yes, there is an almost infinite number of TeX macros.
>
> > See the screenshot attached here.
> >
> > [2. image/png; Selection_071.png]...
>
> Well, math-symbol-list also doesn't know \textminus, \textnineoldstyle,
> \textohm, \textonehalf, or \textoneoldstyle.  So feel free to check how
> TeX renders them, find a similar unicode characters,

OK, I tried to use the following TeX example document:

\documentclass{paper}
\begin{document}
 \textminus,  \textnineoldstyle, \textohm, \textonehalf, \textoneoldstyle.
\end{document}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end------------->8---

After I compiled the above document using xelatex with the generated
pdf rendered in Emacs buffer, I try to select one of the generated
character in the pdf file, and then hit `M-x describe-char RET'. But
this way can't let me obtain the correct codepoint which is needed to
customize the `LaTeX-math-list' using a form similar to the following
one in `tex--prettify-symbols-alist':

("\\alpha" . 945)

> and add an entries to either `tex--prettify-symbols-alist' or
> `LaTeX-math-list'.

I think the `LaTeX-math-list' should be the appropriate place, which
belongs to the defcustom group.

HZ