autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: serial lines -- a proposal

From: Filippo Giunchedi
Subject: Re: serial lines -- a proposal
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:16:25 +0100

Hi Dustin,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 03:45:28PM -0600, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Filippo Giunchedi <address@hidden> wrote:
> > looks easy to do with a post-receive hook and loop-free, although a bit
> > unpleasant to have to git push then git pull again if something has been
> > updated, I can look into that if needed.

[...]

> So my vote is to first document and encourage committers to run
> set-serial.sh manually, and then put whatever measures are required in
> place to make sure this rule is reasonably adhered to - probably
> starting with the crontab.

thanks for the input, I agree with you about reserializing before commit
though I'd like to avoid too much complexity.

I would go for a pre-commit hook that checks if any macro file is changed then
the diff for that file must contain also the serial change, otherwise abort
the commit. Looks reasonably easy and simple to do and lives in the
developer's repo, an example is in .git/hooks/pre-commit.sample.

Additionally who is going to release must run set-serial before tagging the
release just to be sure, this can be put into release instructions. As an
added bonus the release command (e.g. make release) can check itself if
everything is in order.

regards,
filippo
--
Filippo Giunchedi - http://esaurito.net - 0x6B79D401

Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs.
-- Brian W. Kernighan