autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: AX_WITH_PERL considered pointless

From: Francesco Salvestrini
Subject: Re: AX_WITH_PERL considered pointless
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:36:56 +0200

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> The following macros:
>
> AX_WITH_PERL
> AX_WITH_PYTHON
> AX_WITH_RUBY
> AX_WITH_GUILE
>
> are just trivial wrappers for AX_WITH_PROG. Is there a good reason to have
> them?

We discussed about them more than a year ago (fyi: 'Discrimination' thread in
this ML) and the general consensus was to keep them. Peter suggested to
obsolete macros only if they were outright broken or if we felt that they were
utterly pointless, avoiding to remove macros just because they are trivial to
implement on top of something else.

As I expressed earlier: I've no particular affection for them; they are only
trivial wrappers that could come handy to some unexperienced autoconf user ...

Francesco

--
        Penn's aunts made great apple pies at low prices.  No one else in
town could compete with the pie rates of Penn's aunts.