autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #8213] new macro to allow "overriding" of user provided variables

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [patch #8213] new macro to allow "overriding" of user provided variables for automake
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:48:38 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #8213 (project autoconf-archive):

Hi Diab,

are you sure that you want your name removed from the copyright section? The
macro is distributed under a free license (otherwise it wouldn't be here),
which means that everyone has the right to modify and improve it, and
distribute the modified macro under the the same free license as before with
jointly owned copyright. Under these circumstances, I can't imagine a
situation in which you -- the primary author -- cannot claim copyright on his
own work.

Furthermore, suppose we receive a patch from some third party over the
Internet that modifies the macro we distribute in the Archive. Chances are
that this person will then be added to the copyright section, too. Is that
okay? Or do you think the Smithsonian would object to that?

I'm worried, because having very restrictive notions about who can claim
copyright and who cannot kind-of collides with the all-permissive license this
macro has been released under.

Take care,
Peter

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8213>