autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: AX_BOOST_BASE

From: Marcin Zalewski
Subject: Re: AX_BOOST_BASE
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:36:51 -0500

Peter,

I get a syntax error from expr. The problem is that currently the
script tries to figure out the version of boost in BOOST_ROOT from the
directory name in BOOST_ROOT. This works only if boost root is in a
standard directory name (e.g., boost_1_53_0). I have a client who
wants to use his unstaged boost that he has in a non-standard
directory.

The reason I am ending up in this region of code is that there is no
system-wide boost that meets the version requirement. I have
recommended to my client that he use BOOST_ROOT for his unstaged boost
(for some reason my client does not want to install the unstaged
version of his boost library in his home directory).

So, it seems that the version checking for BOOST_ROOT case makes a lot
of assumptions. An even more problematic issue is the difficulty of
using unstaged boost, but that would be a bigger patch.