autoconf-archive-maintainers

AX_APPEND_FLAG changed behaviour

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: AX_APPEND_FLAG changed behaviour
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:16:41 +1000

Hello,

I noticed that in the most recent version of the archive, AX_APPEND_FLAG has changed behaviour and does add the FLAG also when the variable contains FLAG. I traced down the altered behaviour to the two lines

 [case " AS_VAR_GET(FLAGS) " in
    *" $1 "*)

which have changed to

  AS_CASE([AS_VAR_GET(FLAGS)],

besides that AS_CASE is used (which is good imho) the pattern has changed and the space around FLAGS in the first argument of AS_CASE has gone. This means that e.g. if FLAGS is "alpha beta gamma" that will not match the pattern "* $1 *|*$1" for $1 being any of 'alpha', 'beta', or 'gamma'. I think that is unexpected behaviour.

Easiest would be to just move back to the old pattern, but wanted to check if there was any reason for the modification, in which case we perhaps can come up with something better.

Thank,
Peter