autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #8613] Simplify _AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11_testbody

From: Matan Nassau
Subject: [patch #8613] Simplify _AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11_testbody
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:25:54 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #8613 (project autoconf-archive):

>From an email from Peter Johansson:

“It's up to the maintainer what he wanna do with the macro, but I just
wanna mention that it's the Autoconf philosophy to rather check features
than version number etc. The latter are proxies of the former, but
unfortunaley they can often be quite inaccurate proxies.”

For what I understand the current code tests for some specific C++ features.
My patch changes that to check whether the compiler declares it supports
C++11. I think this behaviour is more fit for the macro's name. If the intent
is to check for specific features then the macro name should reflect that.
Maybe it would be q good idea to create dedicated macros for specific
features, and then maybe add a composite macro to check for a set of
features.

Although I think this patch still communicates the intent better for this
name. :)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8613>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/