autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: ax_gcc_archflag - Support for Skylake and newer Intel platforms?

From: Matthieu Schaller
Subject: Re: ax_gcc_archflag - Support for Skylake and newer Intel platforms?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:43:03 -0300

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

> > Would it be possible to update the AX_GCC_ARCHFLAG() macro to
> > correctly detect the Intel Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake CPUs ?
> > As it stands the macro defaults to '-march=core2', which misses the
> > AVX2, FMA and other extensions.
>
> the macro was submitted and maintained by Steven G. Johnson, whom I have
> added to Cc. Maybe he is willing to do the necessary changes?

That would be amazing.

> If in doubt, though, the most reliable way to get certain features added
> into a macro is to do it yourself and to submit a patch. :-)

I did consider this. However, I do not have access to systems beyond my own machine at this stage,
so it would seem complicated for me to obtain the required CPUID pattern to cover all systems
and not just my own (although that would selfishly match my personal needs!).

Thanks again,
Matthieu