Call for help on improving the documentation

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Call for help on improving the documentation
Date: 21 Sep 2000 14:43:14 +0200

Hi People,

We are heading slowly towards the 2.50 release.  There are still many
small details to fix in Autoconf, in particular the test suite which
Pavel is quickly improving.  I think it is reasonable to aim at 2.49b,
a widely advertised beta, for the next couple of weeks.

Before 2.50, it would be great if you people could browse the
documentation and help to complete the list of known problems with
some functions, headers etc. and most importantly, the workarounds.

It's a pity that the Autoconf documentation gives hint about broken
functions only for functions that have their own AC_FUNC_FOO, likewise
for headers.  If you know a function which should be AC_CHECK_FUNC'd
or AC_REPLACE_FUNC'd, please, submit so short words which describe
where they are missing, what kind of bug you can meet, and the best
strategy to work around these.

Likewise, there are not enough details on how to best use the HAVE_*_H
macros.

Of course, there is no limitation, any kind of information that would
make it easier for a non portability-guru should make its way into the
documentation, so feel free to send your suggestions.

Patches are definitely the most appreciated means to contribute,
nevertheless, plain text is accepted, we will integrate it into the
documentation ourselves.

In the same spirit, do not hesitate to check the completeness of the
autoscan files, i.e., acfunctions, acheaders, acidentifiers,
acmakevars and acprograms.

Thanks!

        Akim