Re: address@hidden proposal for autoconf languages

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: address@hidden proposal for autoconf languages
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:58:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Mike!

> i've been trying to wrap autoconf around one of my projects (in progress).
> the problem is that my project relies heavily on Objective C.  as i'm sure
> you know, there is no AC_LANG_OBJC macro :).  i'm finding that for Objective
> C related things, i'm needlessly reimplementing some of the already existing
> macros, e.g. AC_TRY_COMPILE.
>
> rather than proposing AC_LANG_OBJC (which actually wouldn't be too hard),
> i'm proposing an AC_LANG_CUSTOM.  syntax might look like so:
>
>         AC_LANG_CUSTOM(language-name, extension[, compiler[, flags[,
>                 cross]]])

We discussed this recently and this proposal got rejected.

You are welcome to look in the current CVS version of Autoconf (see
http://sources.redhat.com/autoconf/ for details) and implement OBJC
support in the similar way.

I'm sure that Autoconf will support Objective C some day. It's a great
language.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin