Re: AC_CHECK_FILE and cross-compilation

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_FILE and cross-compilation
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:55:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Akim!

> I'm not in favor of removing this ``limitation'' because this macro
> addresses well its point.  If you want to check for the presence of a
> DTD etc., then sorry, but it seems to me that it's a runtime issue.

The message about DTD didn't reach me (mail problems again?) but I could
read it on the web.

The Autoconf's way is to create conftest.sgml that is the minimal file
allowed by the DTD and test whether it can be successfuly processed.

The Automake's way is to make "missing" emulate jade or whatever you want.

What I recently did in the Midnight Commander was protecting all that
stuff with AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, but I realize that it's not the ideal
solution.

> If you really need to check for the existence of a file for the
> *build* process, then AC_CHECK_FILE is just overkill: enjoy test -f!

I fully agree.

> And yes, AC_CHECK_FUNC checks for the presence of files, but *build*
> files, not host files, so it is right.

I don't know any programming language except sed (with its clueless
"r") that cannot check the existance of files at the runtime and act
differently dependent on whether the file in question exists.

> I'm not *against* releasing the limitations, but it makes perfect
> sense to me.  I'm not convinced yet it's wrong.  You have to convince
> me you need AC_CHECK_FILE and not just test -f.

The end of my message that you didn't quote suggested _removing_ (not
relaxing!) AC_CHECK_FILE after Autoconf-2.50 is released.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin