RE: autoupdate requires GNU sed

From: Andrej Borsenkow
Subject: RE: autoupdate requires GNU sed
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:12:23 +0400

> Andrej> address@hidden ./autoupdate --help autoupdate requires GNU sed
>
> Andrej> Just curious, what are the reasons behind it? This is with
> Andrej> current CVS.
>
> It uses regexps that are not supported by other seds, which is just
> one aspect of the problem, the second being that it uses a long script
> on which pretty many seds will choke.  Since it's a maintainer tool,
> there is no reason to fight for portability.  In addition it would
> obfuscate the code.

1. Currently, it prevents me (and everybody without GNU sed) from making
autoconf:

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/u3/u1/build/autoconf/man'
Updating man page autoupdate.1
help2man: can't get `--help' info from ../autoupdate
gmake[1]: *** [autoupdate.1] Error 77
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/u3/u1/build/autoconf/man'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

If it optional tool, make should ignore this error

2. I've installed GNU sed as gsed, but autoconf's confgiure does not even try
to find it. It still finds GNU m4 as gm4 :-)

Well, the 2 is optional, but 1 needs to be resolved?

cheers

-andrej