-ldir added when not needed

From: David Morgan
Subject: -ldir added when not needed
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:04:53 -0700

I have seen this problem in 2.13 and cvs

The macro AC_HEADER_DIRENT in acspecific.m4 has a call in it to

AC_CHECK_LIB(dir, opendir, LIBS="$LIBS -ldir")

This is problematic on compilers which do not emit an error return code
with missing libraries but instead happily link and complain when they
can't find the library.  This gets really tiresome in a user's autoconf'd
compile where there are numerous messages about library not found and the
compile completes successfully.

I'd like the line to be:
AC_CHECK_FUNCS(dir, break, AC_CHECK_LIB(dir, opendir, LIBS="$LIBS -ldir"))

If some one would be kind enough to tell me how to submit patches I can do
that for this one.

This will also occur when the library exists and does not resolve the symbol
so maybe AC_CHECK_LIB needs a further change.

Regards
 David