Re: OpenBSD 2.7

From: Lars Hecking
Subject: Re: OpenBSD 2.7
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:30:54 +0000

> I've just installed OpenBSD 2.7.
>
> Good news: the testsuite passes with one test ignored (due to lack of
> /lib/cpp) and 160 tests passed! The only additional GNU packages were
> m4-1.4, sed-2.05 and make-3.78.1

 Have you tried the native m4, too? See

 http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/2000-03/msg00213.html

 and follow-ups.

> Bad news: the native make doesn't work - it cannot create "autoconf" and
> other scripts because they have both explicit and suffix rules:
[...]

 BSD makes in their current form suck outright. Many of them don't even
 pass variables down to sub-makes. This is the main raison d'etre for
 gmake on my OBSD and NBSD systems ...

 I expect this to improve substantially with OBSD 2.8, Marc Espie has put
 a lot of good work into make (and I hope that the other BSDs follow suit).