Re: sed usage in autoheader

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: sed usage in autoheader
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:06:15 -0800 (PST)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 15 Nov 2000 16:32:18 +0100
>
> Do you mean `s,[^/]*$,,' would work here?  Man, how can someone write
> something that broken :(.

Just for the record, Cray is correct: POSIX does not allow
`s/[^/]*$//'.  `s,[^/]*$,,' is required to work, though.

> Bruce> never, ever use substitution separator
> Bruce> chars inside of the substitution expressions, period.

I've had good luck with strings like `/foo[\/]bar/' in cases where I
already know from context that the matched string can't contain `\'.
That's portable, as it works with both the traditional and the POSIX
interpretation.