Re: Portability of fopen (foo, "wb") (Was: bug in AC_COMPUTE_INT)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Portability of fopen (foo, "wb") (Was: bug in AC_COMPUTE_INT)
Date: 16 Nov 2000 16:38:30 +0100

>>>>> "Earnie" == Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:

Earnie> Lars, just to satisfy my curiosity please send me the output
Earnie> of `cygcheck -s -r -v'.

What's this?  I'm looking for all the possible uname and the like
which we could include in the config.log.  Currently, you have:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by  (Autoconf 2.49b) 2.49b, executed with
 > ./configure --no-create --no-recursion

on nostromo:

uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.2.17
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 Sat Sep 9 12:42:22 EST 2000

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              = i686
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

I'm really looking for all the means to enrich our knowledge of the
user's system.

Earnie> I'm researching fopen using google.com and I find that the
Earnie> "Single UNIX Specification Version 2" from The Open Group
Earnie> supports wb.  I've checked several man pages and all except
Earnie> those related to PHP supports the 'b' option.  It is also
Earnie> required for conformity by IEEE STDSt (``POSIX'')-ansiC
Earnie> standard according to
Earnie> http://www.ajk.tele.fi/libc/stdio/fopen.3.html.

Yep, I seem to remember it's in the K&R book first edition, so it
should be quite safe.