Re: Config error for Darwin (Mac OS/X)

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Config error for Darwin (Mac OS/X)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:59:06 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> What generation of Autoconf generated that configure?  It looks like
> code from 2.13.  Please, download
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/autoconf.tar.gz, regenerate the configure
> from OpenLDAP with this Autoconf, and tell us if the bug is still
> present.

This is a very risky suggestion. Unfortunately, most of quite large
projects, like OpenLDAP, require some modifications before they can switch
to CVS Autoconf.

The most common problem is underquoting, which is the case for OpenLDAP.
Also the new Autoconf found a misuse of AC_DEFINE inside AC_CONFIG_CACHE.

Finally, bash (and maybe other shells too) doesn't like the construct that
Autoconf makes from

AC_INIT
if true; then
 AC_MSG_ERROR([LinuxThreads header/library mismatch]);
fi
AC_OUTPUT

if true; then
 { { echo "$as_me:844: error: LinuxThreads header/library mismatch" >&5
echo "$as_me: error: LinuxThreads header/library mismatch" >&2;}
   { (exit 1); exit; }; }
;
fi

$ ./configure
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
./configure: ./configure: line 847: `;'

It's obviously the latest semicolon, which comes from the semicolon on the
end of AC_MSG_ERROR.

So, there are enough problems with OpenLDAP without playing with Mac OSX.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin