RE: Expanded rules for scripts

From: Bernard Dautrevaux
Subject: RE: Expanded rules for scripts
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:41:37 +0100

Mainly because ALL make refuse it, and that about all make documentation say
something like (cited from GNU make doc):

        Suffix rules cannot have any dependencies of their own.  If they
        have any, they are treated as normal files with funny names, not as
        suffix rules.

To achieve what ".sh: configure.in" seems to want to do you must use pattern
rules, like "%: %.sh configure.in", but this is non-portable so Autoconf
can't use it.

The main reason why ".sh: configure.in" is clearly wrong is that otherwise I
would have NO way to create an EXPLICIT rule to build some "hidden" file
named for example ".make.depend" if it happens make knows the ".make" and
".depend" suffixes ;-(

I know this is not so common, but it happens (BTW the .make.depend was
causing me problems for some time before I realize I had to put an explicit
dependant if I don't want to have make interpret it as a suffix rule in an
environment where make had, I don't know why, a .make suffix defined...)

> | > This was used in Autoconf.
> |
> | Are you sure? the ".sh: configure.in" dependency bothers me...
>
> Nope, I meant
>
> > .sh:
> >         # do sth
> > autoconf.sh: some-other-dependency
>
> sorry for the confusion.  That's to what Pavel answered actually.

Yep, I was thinking so :)

Regards,

        Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux