Make distcheck error

From: Rebecca . R . Krause
Subject: Make distcheck error
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:31:25 -0600

Hello,

I am trying to do a simple tutorial using Autoconf and Automake that I found at
the following address:

ftp://ftp.ugcs.caltech.edu/pub/elef/autotools/node62.html

I am trying to learn how to distribute a package of software using autoconf and
automake.  I am using RedHat 7.0, Autoconf version 2.10 and
automake 1.4.

I created a simple program called hello.c and placed it into the following
empty directory:  /home/username/practice   (See attached file: hello.c)

from /home/username I did a cd into practice then I typed:
gcc hello.c -o hello
./hello

Then I created the following two files:  Makefile.am and configure.in and
placed both in /home/username/practice  (See attached file: Makefile.am)(See
 attached file: configure.in)

Then at the prompt I ran:
aclocal
autoconf
automake -a
touch NEWS README AUTHORS ChangeLog (since I didn't have these files created in
my directory)
automake -a

At this point I thought I should be able to do either a make then make
distcheck or just a make distcheck

If I try to do a make I get an error that says:
make: @SHELL@: Command not found.
make: *** [Makefile] Error 127
To fix the error I went into the /home/username/practice/Makefile and commented
out the line that says:   SHELL = @SHELL@   (See attached file:
Makefile)
Make then worked.

Now, when I try to do a make distcheck I get the same type of error:
make[1]: @SHELL@: Command not found.
make: *** [hello.0] Error 127
make[1]:  leaving directory /home/username/practice/hello-0.1/=build
make: *** [distcheck] Error 2

There is a Makefile at /home/username/practice/hello-0.1/=build that has the
SHELL = @SHELL@ line but this file gets written over every time
I do a make distcheck so it does me no good to change it.

Any idea on how to fix my problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rebecca Krause