Re: HOWTO check for headers and libs in various directories?

From: Daniele Arena
Subject: Re: HOWTO check for headers and libs in various directories?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:58:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi Vaclav,

I had the same problem with MySQL and other external packages, and I
couldn't find anything really appropriate. The smartest thing I could do
was to hack configure.in in this way:

<snip>
dnl
dnl MySQL include directory
dnl

AC_ARG_WITH(mysqlinc,
        [  --with-mysqlinc=DIR        DIR=path of MySQL include
dir[$ac_default_prefix/mysql/include]],
        if test [ x$withval != x ] -a [ -d $withval ]; then
          mysqlincdir=$withval
        else
          echo "Please specify a suitable MySQL include directory:
--with-mysqlinc=DIR"; exit 1
        fi ,
        mysqlincdir=$ac_default_prefix/mysql/include)

AC_CHECK_FILE($mysqlincdir/mysql.h, ,
              echo "MySQL include directory does not contain mysql.h !";
              echo "Please specify a suitable MySQL include directory:
--with-mysqlinc=DIR"; exit 1)

AC_SUBST(mysqlincdir)

</snip>

And the same for "mysqllib" (but there I
AC_CHECK_FILE($mysqlincdir/libmysqlclient.a)).

This way you need to specify "configure --with-mysqlinc=...
--with-mysqllib=..." (it's better to wrap it in a script).

If you are pretty sure that MySQL will be installed as
$something/include/mysql and $something/lib/mysql, then you might only
need one of these to look for $something and say "configure
--with-mysql=...". But I have a host where the installation is
/usr/local/mysql/include and /usr/local/mysql/lib, so out of luck there...

Anyway, I don't consider myself very smart, nor very experienced with
autoconf, so if anyone else out there has solved the problem in a more
elegant way, please let me(us!) know...

Cheers,

Daniele.