Order of arguments when calling the C compiler

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: Order of arguments when calling the C compiler
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:12:12 +0100

There is apparently a bug in autoconf: when calling AC_CHECK_LIB, it uses -l
and -L in the wrong order. It does not disturb gcc or Tru64's cc, but it fails
with Sun's cc.

With the configure.in attached, this fails:

./configure --with-ssl=$HOME

with the following config.log:

configure:795: cc -o conftest -g  -I/home/bortz/include  conftest.c -lssl
-lcrypto
  -L/home/bortz/lib 1>&5
ld: fatal: library -lssl: not found
ld: fatal: library -lcrypto: not found

Because -L was put too late. If I run cc by hand with the right order, SSL is
detected.

Indeed, the fault seems to be in acgeneral.m4, when defining AC_CHECK_LIB:

LIBS="-l$1 $5 $LIBS"

IMHO, it should be:

LIBS="$LIBS -l$1 $5"

%  autoconf --version