Re: [Akim Demaille <address@hidden>] Re: Shell crash on SunOS 4.1.3

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Akim Demaille <address@hidden>] Re: Shell crash on SunOS 4.1.3
Date: 30 Jan 2001 10:29:19 +0100

| Akim,
| address@hidden> sh
| $ foo=`exit 12 2>/dev/null`
| $ echo $foo
|
| $ bar=`(exit 12) 2>/dev/null`
| $ echo $bar
|
| $ (PATH=. ; echo baz )
| echo: not found
| $

I'm lost.  I thought it was the redirection of `cd' which was wrong,
and though it would be the same for all builtins...  So indeed I
understand that echo is not a builtin, but exit must be a builtin, and
it does not show the `illegal io' message :(

I'm a bit lost here.

foo=`cd / 2>/dev/null`
echo ,$foo,

bar=`cd /foo 2>/dev/null`
echo ,$bar,

baz=`exit nonsense 2>/dev/null`
echo ,$baz,

Maybe `exit' has no error message at all?

exit nonsense

What builtin could issue message?  If someone understands what
happens, please speak up!

Thanks Harlan!