Re: Release next week?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: Release next week?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:36:22 +0200

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:58:37AM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
: Let's flush all the documentation related patches, Lars' cleanups, and
: target an actual release next week.

There are no showstoppers left?

: I think 2.51 will probably be released soon afterwards.  Nonetheless,
: I would like to introduce deep internal changes: introduce autom4te.
: I'd like autom4te to be written in Perl, i.e., starting from 2.51,
: Autoconf will require Perl, and the same Perl as Automake.  I don't
: think this is a hard requirement today as anyway I don't think there
: are many Autoconf-non-Automake projects today.
:
: How does this sound?

I'm not too happy about Perl, nor am I in favour of Python.  I don't mind
the slowness of autoconf that much either - it's more important to me to
get the configure/build scripts to run faster and better.  If we could
switch the configure-script interpreter to something significantly faster
with more built-in functionality...

Anyways, is "deep internal changes" really something for a +.1 version
increment?  It sounds like a 3.0 rewrite to me - which we could of course
fork off, but I think there's still a lot of living left to do for 2.*
before its time is up :)

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'