$(YACC) on Linux

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: $(YACC) on Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:50:57 +0100

Hi,

I have a program (http://www.locus.cz/locus/) I'd like to
autoconfiscate. Among other interesting complications, it has a couple
of parsers generated with bison & flex. As far as I
understand autoconf+automake (I *think* I'm asking about autoconf,
but even about that I'm not sure), the autoconf-generated
configure should substitute @YACC@ in Makefile.in for the proper
parser name in the generated Makefile. On my system (SuSE Linux
6.4), it (autoconf 2.13) substitutes "bison -y", which is almost
correct: according to the bison 1.25 man page, -y fixes the parser
output file name to y.tab.c and "other outputs" to, among others,
y.tab.h - except y.tab.h is *not* generated by default; an extra option
(-d) to bison is required. So the ylwrap script silently fails to make a
header file my lexer needs and the build fails in a very mystifying (to
me, at least) way.

I can define YFLAGS = -d in my Makefile.am and it will work on my
machine. What I'd like to ask, is, of course: is this the right,
autoconf-sanctioned, portable thing to do? And even better - would it be
possible to fix autoconf to handle this possibility?

        Bye
                Vasek