Re: tabs in configure.in?

From: Lars Hecking
Subject: Re: tabs in configure.in?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:46:42 +0100

> M4 is insensitive to it, and autoconf.sh does not try to smash them.
> Nonetheless, trailing spaces are smashed.
>
> What problem do you face?

 The current version of GNU gettext's m4/gettext.4 contains the following

|  [case " "$CONFIG_FILES" " in *" po/Makefile.in "* | *" po/Makefile.in:"*)
|     sed -e "/POTFILES =/r po/POTFILES" po/Makefile.in > po/Makefile
|     ;;
|   esac])

 compared to

[case "$CONFIG_FILES" in *po/Makefile.in*)

 in older versions. Why they put in all these additional spaces in the first
 place is not obvious to me at all, but that's how it is now.

 Anyway, that case statement is never entered because the troublesome
 configure.in uses tabs:

| AC_OUTPUT(Makefile intl/Makefile m4/Makefile
| <TAB>po/Makefile.in doc/Makefile contrib/Makefile

 As I said, I'd advocate not to use any tabs at all.