Re: Merging AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CPP (was: autoconf-2.49f/CPPFLAGS)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Merging AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CPP (was: autoconf-2.49f/CPPFLAGS)
Date: 27 Apr 2001 15:01:43 +0200

>> I _know_ that CPPFLAGS is used both by AC_PROG_CPP and AC_PROG_CC,
>> so it seems natural to document it in both or find a means to
>> factor it for both.

Ralf> Wouldn't AC_REQUIRE-ing a macro containing AC_SUBST(CPPFLAGS)
Ralf> from AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CPP remedy this issue?

Yep, that's a means to implement the factoring thing I was referring
to.  Well, I guess we should remain in the safe side, and do this
indeed.

Nonetheless, I would really appreciate hearing pros/cons for keeping
things such as AC_PROG_CPP, AC_PROG_CXXCPP etc. instead of merging
them into AC_PROG_CC.