Installable config.h files

From: Dean Povey
Subject: Installable config.h files
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:53:34 +1000

Hi all,

Ever since reading the hack for working around the problem of how you install
autoconf generated config.h files in the GNU Autoconf, Automake, Libtool
book, I have thought that there must be a better way to do it.

To this end, I have hacked up some macros that allow you to do this a
better way.  The basic idea is to write a config.h.in template that is then
selectively preprocessed to generate a config.h that can be installed.
It's not perfect, but it seems to work.  The macro header comment gives a
pretty good explanation of the motivation, how it works and what the
limitations are.

I have only given this a limited test wrt to different platforms, but as
the majority of this is sed code, and SUN's sed is pretty unforgiving it
should be portable.  The code also relies on a couple of autoconf
internals (AC_LIST_HEADERS, filename to create is $ac_dest) but nothing too
scary.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Cheers.

Dean Povey,         | e-m: address@hidden | JCSI: Java Crypto Toolkit
Research Scientist  | ph:  +61 7 3864 5120   | uPKI: C PKI toolkit for embedded
Security Unit, DSTC | fax: +61 7 3864 1282   |       systems
Brisbane, Australia | www: security.dstc.com |