Re: Bug in Autoconf!?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Bug in Autoconf!?
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:34:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Francois!

Please don't send mixed text-html messages to mailing lists. It increases
traffic (more that by the factor of 2) and causes inconvenience to the
users of text-only mail clients. Please use plain text.

> Perhaps I've found a bug.
> I've a Debian 2.2 upgradet to unstable on a i386 machine. Autoconf  2.13.

Last stable version of Autoconf is 2.50. Version 2.13 is too old.

> configure:2568: checking for executable suffix
> configure:2578: gcc -o
> conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
>   conftest.c -l  -L/usr/lib -lglib 1>&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l--library=glib

It looks like the output of glib-config is interpreted incorrectly.

> Other configure scripts are working perfect.
> The midgard developper think the failure is generated by autoconf.

Autoconf says that the compiler doesn't work. The compiler doesn't work
because it gets wrong flags. It is not clear from your message why it
happens.

If you think that some software fails (in your case Autoconf) please try
using the last released version before asking the developers for help.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin