Re: AC_C_INLINE test not robust enough?

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: AC_C_INLINE test not robust enough?
Date: 04 Jul 2001 07:54:57 -0300

On Jun 28, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

autoconf> The IRIX C compiler has no problems with __inline. However,
autoconf> if a third test is added: extern $inline int extern_foo ();
autoconf> then the IRIX C compiler barfs. So, should we add a third
autoconf> test? GCC accepts the extern test.

> I don't remember what the documentation says, but the only safe
> portable use of inline I know is exclusively 'static inline'.

extern inline used to be a GCC extension.

> Does C99 include something about it?

I can see some reference to inline and extern together in the C99
standard, but it appears that the meaning is not the same as that used
by GCC :-(

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}